WET HOT AMERICAN SUMMER: FIRST DAY OF CAMP
ALL EPISODES NOW STREAMING on NETFLIX!
- Vulture "WHAS's Undefinable Brand of Smart Stupidity" + MORE Vulture articles
- Various A.V. Club articles
- New Yorker "The Screwball Sweetness of the Wet Hot American Prequel"
- New York Times profile
- GQ "42 Rejected Titles"
- Elle "Amy Poehler Doesn't Remember Making WHAS"
- The Verge review
- Reviews collected at Metacritic and Rotten Tomatoes
THE ORIGINAL MOVIE
a.k.a. WET HOT AMERICAN SUMMER: Last Day of Camp
Wet Hot American Summer, the movie, was filmed in 28 rainy days, May & June 2000 in Wayne County, Pennsylvania.
It premiered at the Sundance Festival in January 2001.
USA Films released the movie theatrically on July 27, 2001.
The DVD was released on January 2002, with the following elements:
super high quality director-supervised transfer
great behind-the-scenes footage
tons of deleted scenes
audio commentary with Wain, Showalter and Garofalo
songs from the movie
bios and cast comments
alternate soundtrack with lots of added farts
Midnight and outdoor screenings began in several cities August of 2003, and have increased in number every summer.
On January 21st, 2012, the original cast gathered at the San Francisco Sketchfest to perform a live radio play version of the film, which you can read about here on the Huffington Post.